When your Albuquerque home has a water leak it is a bad thing for several reasons. A water leak normally translates into a higher water bill. A water leak can cause serious damage to your home that can be a health hazard and can be awfully expensive to repair. A water leak is both expensive and a health hazard due to the potential for mold and other problems that can occur like the accumulation of bacteria. To determine if your Albuquerque home has a water leak employ the following tips. The water leak detection tips featured here are as follows:
Check for water leaks using your Albuquerque home water meter
Check your water meter to determine if your Albuquerque home’s plumbing has a water. To find out where your water meter is at around your Albuquerque home if you do not know where it is, call the Albuquerque Water Authority at 505-842-9287 to have your meter located by them. Once you know where your water meter is to determine if you have a water leak take the following steps:
- Turn off all water taps in your Albuquerque home including the sinks faucets, outside hose bibs and the washing machine.
- Find your water meter and then visually inspect its leak detector to see if it is turning. The water meter’s leak detector indicator will be either a small silver wheel or a small triangular shaped dial. It will spin around or rotate around when your home’s water meter has water flowing through it. When you check it after you make sure you have turned off any water access in your home, if it is moving then most likely your Albuquerque home has a water leak.
- Another way to check your water meter for a leak is to check it and write down the reading and then wait two hours, read the meter again and if it turns out the meter reading is different, your Albuquerque has a water leak
Once you have followed the steps described above and you have figured out your Albuquerque home has a water leak, you need to proceed to figure out if the water leak is happening outside or inside your home. Take the following steps to determine where your Albuquerque home water leak is happening:
- Find your house main shut off valve and turn the water valve to the off position. Normally, you will locate your Albuquerque home water valve shut off next to the water meter cover, or in the basement or in the garage behind the outside hose bib.
- Inspect the leak indicator to see if it is moving or employ the meter reading way and be certain to not turn on any water faucet or hose bib valve when you take this action. If the leak indicator ceases moving and the meter readings stay the same, your home has a water leak coming from inside. If the leak indicator keeps moving and there is not any difference in the meter readings, the water leak is on the outside of your home located somewhere from the house to the water meter.
- It may be that you cannot find your Albuquerque home water leak. If that happens to be the case, you will need to contact a local Albuquerque plumber and hire them to come to your home and find the leak.